Saturday, November 7, 2009

One little cat. One big mess.

Basking in the glow of writing about Peggy Sue's trust (see entry below), I turned to pet Percy, who had jumped up next to me. He was doused with pink. "What in the heck did you get into my boy??" said I. And then it hit me. I bolted out of my chair and found...

Thought that candle warmer was safe on top of the secretary. Thought wrong. Percy, of course, is fine. The wall, the floor and the top of the secretary are not. Guess what I'm up to today?? It would be red wax. *sigh*

22 comments:

  1. Oh nooooooooooo! Thank god it's just wax - when I glanced at the picture before reading, I thought for sure I was going to read that they'd gotten hold of a small rodent and done a ritual sacrifice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I hope it all comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes!
    Our mum doesn't light candles and stuff around us because she knows that we'll likely knock it over. Zowie especially is bad for being super curious like that.

    Mum says she hopes that it isn't too hard to clean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! This is exactly why we never light candles anymore...then again, at least it's only wax and not a "ritual sacrifice" as Robyn put it :) Hopefully getting it off the wall won't be too bad!

    I once came home to a very sticky and sour smelling Mooshi, who had knocked over a jar of balsamic vinegar from our kitchen table, and then rolled around in it, making sure to spread it all over the kitchen floor...and the living room carpet ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this is the end for candle warmers. I don't usually use them, except in the winter time, 'cause they add a nice cuddly atomosphere, without flame. I thought it was safe enough because the kitten isn't such a kitten any more. Wrong. Percy, your mum is a wise woman!

    Nichole, the wall is a loss, I'm afraid. It will need to be sanded, primed and repainted because the wax stained the paint. Thank heaven most of the mess is behind the secretary because I don't think I'm going to get to painting any time soon. You may see traces of pink in shots for a while. LOL!

    The wood is less of a problem - I'm an old hand at getting candle wax off of furniture. I suspect floors are similar. (I hope, I hope!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh nooooo! We've had red wax on the wall too (long before we became foster parents). It's amazing how much area that stuff can cover when it splatters :P

    We used regular old soap and water to get it off, which seemed to do the trick -- except the apartment walls were painted with water-soluble stuff and that came off as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh kittens! :) Gotta love 'em! At first when I saw the picture in my subscription list, it looked like blood and I was worried!! But at least Percy is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, Hyacinth!! I can just see Mooshi resenting the ensuing bath, too!! Hope the carpet came clean!

    Leslie, I'll give soap'n'water a shot... can't hurt!! Thanks for the tip! It is amazing how much of a mess a little wax can make. I think he must have snagged the cord and tipped it, 'cause not much wax is missing from the jar.

    You'll be glad to know Percy came clean very easily. The wax slipped right off of his fur. Thank heaven none went in his eyes!! Like I said... no more candle warmers around here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe, Percy, I think you and 9 would be very cute together, creating mischief and leaving havoc in your wake. Pity you're all the way across the country!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes! When I first saw the pic I thought it was blood. Thank goodness Percy is okay. Luckily the wall is somewhat of an easy fix. As much as I love candles I had to give them up when my Linus was a kitten. He was way too attracted to them even after his whiskers were singed a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness gracious! We're glad to hear that was only candle wax, 'cause it sure looked like someone got seriously hurt!

    We're sorry to hear that it will be so hard to clean up.

    Charlemagne and Tamar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just move the secretary about a foot to the right...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, I just have to say the comment from Catsonville Cats made me laugh/snort while I was taking a sip of my nice cup of tea...which resulted in a tea-splattered monitor...I love the suggestion of moving the secretary...awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw on a TV they were removing crayon with toothpaste and a sponge. Might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oops, those bikini wax do-it-your-self kits never turn out the way you had hoped...just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH MY!!! i too thought blood?! then i burst out laughing, WOW what a mess. i spilled white candle wax onto a red wall once. lordy that stuff sticks... my landlord sucked and was kicking us out to sell the place, so i just left it. :p

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my Gosh! Thank goodness no one was hurt. Though you may have a bad case of 'tennis elbow' once you have all that wax cleaned off! ha ha A tip for you: take an old rag, cover the wax, and then use a warm iron and run it over the rag. It will soak up the wax. Be it from your wall or the floor. Anyway you do it ~ good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how awful! Last year one of my little ones decided to jump on the table and run by me just as I was hot gluing something! She was fine except for her whiskers on one side being combined into one big whisker candle. A trip to the vet resulted in her whiskers being snipped! ARGH! I was panicked but unbelievably she didn't seem to mind. In fact I think she was pretty pleased with herself for her achievement. They grew back in three months and she never had balance problems nor any of the other possible problems I worried about. She still as crazy and looking for trouble wherever she can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, dear! I'm glad everyone is okay. Hot wax is no fun!

    I can understand...I have a hyperactive little orange dude, myself. He has created plenty of mishaps in the 11 months I've had him!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm just getting my post in on this now (I've been a little behind on my posting).
    I was the same as some of the others when I first saw the picture and my heard sank at the thought that something had bled horribly!! Thank goodness that it was just wax, and that no kitties were hurt from it.
    Coincidentally, I have a red wax problem on my recroom carpet that I have to deal with. Not cat related though, just didn't catch a candle that decided to drip quickly onto the floor. D'oh! :P
    My Mother-in-law gave me the same suggestion as Catherine's (rag and iron trick). Haven't tried it yet, but I heard it's a Martha Stewart fix, so I'm sure it's reliable ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh no, I can so relate to this. One of my cats had knocked over the candle on the candle warmer and she was covered in wax. The best thing I found to get the wax outta Percy is to use baby oil and a comb. It's helped a lot. After about an hour I had about all of it off my cat's fur. Then the fun part came - giving her a bath!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know it'll be a lot of work to clean, but this really was the funniest post (and relatable?) I've seen in awhile.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin